17 July, 2009

Shedding blood for the cause

Here's a handy tip for anyone stupid enough to use that many pins on a fairly small area of fabric - when you inevitably impale yourself on one several and bleed on the present you are making for someone else, wad up a length of thread and soak it with saliva. Then dab at the blood with it until the immediate area is soaked and the blood will magically disappear! I was told this by a friend who made costumes for Opera Australia and bugger me if it doesn't work! Something to do with the enzymes in the saliva apparently. It certainly saved my bacon when I made my wedding dress - and in this case too. Drops of blood may be all very romantic in fairy tales when they fall on the windowsill or the snow, but not in real life!

4 comments:

  1. I've heard this too. Haven't had the chance to do so yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, this is much more civilized than my quilt teacher taught us (and that I might have done on several occasions) which is to just spit on that quilt, girls! Very lady-like of me, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol you reminded me of when i was 'sewing' my Strider costume by hand - lots of scrap leather and lacing etc - and stuck myself a good one... i decided to bleed on the fabric :) (maybe i shouldnt have told anyone that!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard this one before! How cool. Luckily I haven't had to use a trick like this yet *knock on wood* but I will remember it when I do. By the way, thanks for the cute tutorials. I must make a bunny!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails