06 July, 2009

Fat quarter bundle surprise

I need to preface this tale by saying that here in NZ aside from a few quilting stores and even fewer other fabric shops, the only place to get fabric and crafting supplies is a chain called Spotlight. They are renowned for poor customer service and pretty average fabrics. But sometimes you find a gem, hidden away, purely by chance. Like this linen tape awhile ago.


I'm in the process of making a couple of birthday presents for some of Hazel's little friends and I needed some fabric of particular colours I didn't have in my stash, so I thought perhaps they'd have some fat quarters that would do - nothing exciting but in the right colours. It's a very uninspiring collection I must say! But as I poked and prodded a fabric caught my eye. It was part of a bundle of 3 fat quarters (originally 5) that had been pulled apart and loosely tied up again with ribbon. Here they are:

Fat quarter bundle surprise

So do you see what caught my eye? Oh yeah baby, HEATHER ROSS! Sorry to shout but really, Spotlight and Heather Ross fabrics are not something that you would normally consider in the same sentence, let alone the same universe. It was all I could do to keep from passing out (you see how fabric deprived we are down here). You can bet I searched high and low to see if there were any more but alas!

Fat quarter bundle surprise

I very casually purchased that bundle, discounted of course because there were only 3, almost holding my breath in case the girl at the counter said "wait a minute, that shouldn't be in there, I'll have to charge you twice as much". But she didn't and I ran across the parking lot to the safety of my car. Ok, so it was pouring rain but honestly, I felt like I'd got away with something slightly immoral and illegal (but not fattening). The bundle was from a commercial fat quarter operation so it doesn't have anything to do with Spotlight at all, but it's such an unexpected thing to find in a generic fat quarter assortment. Actually the other ones are pretty nice too, whoever put it together had taste!

ETA: Eeeeee! The orange stripy one is Heather Ross too - both from her Lightning Bugs and Other Mysteries collection. Double score! I think I need a drink...

11 comments:

  1. I laughed. I totally visulized you panacing at the register and then running to your car. :)

    You poor, deprived quilters! I hadn't thought about the fact that NZ is a small island and would lack for quilt shops! I bet the quit shops that are there do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm JEALOUS, you hear me?? JEALOUS. Gosh doesn't Spotlight suck!! all those horrible generic fabrics... I'm hearing you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spotlight does suck. I wish there was an alternative close by that I could patronise instead. They do sometimes have nice stuff, but it's so hit-and-miss, you just have to be there at the right time. Even their quilting fabrics are deadly ordinary, with a few exceptions.

    Christina, we're probably not quite as deprived here as I'd like to make out, we can order off the internet (postage sucks but when you live at the ends of the earth it kind of figures) and the quilt shops do have a good selection of what I like most - but we pay through the nose for it given the shipping issues and our weak dollar. So I can only dream of such a lovely collection of fabrics as you have in your latest post! On the other hand, the expense does keep me in check...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if it makes you feel any better, NZ seems to have all the good vintage linens in the world. Seriously, they are all in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is totally this commercial


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C7oqXewyCE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot the link doesn't work does it.
    You have to paste and watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What the? What an amazing Spotlight moment. It's very cool when you do find something decent from Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohmigoodness. You went to an (momentarily) awesome Spotlight!
    I recently went to the one at wairau park, and it was quite disappointing. It doesn't even stock something as simple as fray check. Sigh. Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I covet that stripey fabric. You make me want to learn how to quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love that linen tape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No.

    Way.

    You found HEATHER ROSS at SPOTLIGHT?! (caps for emphasis)

    I'm so jealous right now.

    I love that linen tape too and I eye it off every time I'm there, but that cherry brand of tapes and ribbons is so exxy. Still... it's very nice... I might have to indulge. And now I definitely will be scouring the fat quarter packs closely!

    Holly x x

    http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails