To round off the week officially (though I still have a dress to do in the next couple days!) I did this long-sleeved merino top from Burda 9614. After reading such an awful review of it on Pattern Review I did a test shirt last week and while it came out a size too big it was otherwise just fine so not sure what problem the reviewer was having but it wasn't the pattern. I made this one up in size 104cm and actually it's STILL too big! Oh well, she can grow in to it :) Very boxy pattern though, I had to bring it in quite a bit through the underarm and down the sides, to the tune of about 2cm both sides? I deliberately made the sleeves and body a bit long to account for any shrinkage which I'm sure, it being wool and all, will happen. Of course, add that to it being too big anyways and it's very generous in length! Such gorgeous merino too, it was on sale at Global Fabrics last month for $10/m. And from the metre I think I used about a 1/4 of that for this top? I've got some in pink but am considering trying another pattern for it instead. Or maybe I'll thrash this one into submission, not sure yet!
Crap photos due to the really overcast day we had yesterday, plus taking it quite late in the day
I was quite nervous about sewing with this fabric as it was much lighter and stretchier than anything I've done previously, but it went together super well and of course since it's wool it ironed beautifully! The top-stitching was a bit of a dud though, one of the threads I used with the twin needles is too dark and really shows up in contrast to the other one that blends in well. I may have to redo it so I feel happy about it. Or I may not, sometimes the irritation can't surmount the loathing I have of redoing something! Actually, looking at the photo it looks worse than it does in real life...
Here's Hazel modelling it:
She asked me to pick her some flowers for the photo and by sheer chance there were these little pink ones that matched her dancing skirt perfectly! I actually made that a month or so ago but never got around to photographing it. It's from Butterick 6660. Not the greatest pattern to work with (how could it be with a pattern number like that!) but the skirt is so cute and she loves it.