20 August, 2010

Hazel's sewing box

As I said in my previous post, my original present idea for Hazel was a sewing box filled with all sorts of notions and girly sewing needs.  I found a great wicker one in an second hand shop and it came filled with odd 'n ends, old wooden spools of thread, embroidery thread etc. Naturally I kept that for myself and bought Hazel new stuff - I mean, she's not going to appreciate wooden spools is she?

Sewing Box

The box was essentially sound but looked a bit dry and the inner lining was in dire straits on the bottom.  The padded top was in ok shape, a bit battered and stained but I love the folding and wanted to keep it in lieu of a pincushion.

Sewing box interior

Sewing Box interior detail

Sewing Box lid

I  deliberated about the interior for awhile, to keep intact or not?  In the meantime I gave the outside a light going-over with Danish Oil which improved its appearance markedly. But made it stink. It still does a bit!

Sewing Box

Then I decided that I'd replace the bottom lining and put new braid around the edges.  I had a scrap of Liberty that suited it perfectly.

Sewing box interior

Gluing down the braid was heinous and I didn't do the best job ever. Though having said that it looks a LOT wonkier in this photo than it does in real life!  There's definitely an art to it that I'm not privy to.

Sewing Box interior detail

Hazel seems quite pleased with it, though like many presents from the day it's languishing somewhat due to all the competition!

15 comments:

  1. That is so cute, I love the liberty print, lovely! I am sure she loves it, I would too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. Jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is just gorgeous, especially with that beautifull liberty fabric. i'm getting my 3 nearly 4 a toy sewing machine for christmas, would love to find a sewing box like this to add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This turned out great Jacqui!! At first I wondered how you got the fabric under the existing braid but then noticed you changed top and bottom?? Where do you get braid from? Your Marry Poppins bag?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job; love the fabric and I don't see any wonkies :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, she'll love it and keep it forever. Mine's got a plastic tub, and she's not that enthralled....Love the Liberty print, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sewing box looks gorgeous !! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely. You did a lovely job of relining the bottom part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jacqui this box is the cutest it is so hard to find a nice sewing box these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spotlight have a decent range of smaller baskets, if I hadn't found this one
    I probably would have bought one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had that Liberty lurking around for a couple years, not sure what to do
    with it because it's so lovely and there was only a very small amount. I'm
    glad I didn't do anything else with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, the braid on top is new as well. The old stuff was so ratty and
    stained with rust from the nails underneath it really had to go. I got the
    new braid from Spotlight but it was a bit thick I think. Not sure where
    you'd find it otherwise, I'm sure there are upholstery places that would
    have a better selection. Although that place I got the basket had lots of
    old trims didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw thanks! I bet op-shops are the best place to find such things these days,
    or maybe Trade Me? I almost need one for myself now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails