I got this far
and then decided I should do a quick try-on just to make sure it was going to fit. I couldn't actually tell you if it fits or not because it wouldn't go over her head. Now I will admit that she is something like 100th percentile for head circumference (both her parents are serious fat-heads too) but I've never, ever had that problem before! There was no way I was going to undo this neck binding though
because it was an utter bitch to get on - gauze on the bias has a mind of its own - so what to do? At the momentI think the best solution is to make a opening at the back of the neck with a facing so I don't lose too much width. But I can't quite face it right now and feel a bit sulky.
Ok, so what next? Winter pyjamas! I got out the trusty Oliver + S Bedtime Story pyjama pattern and made up the pants using that pattern and cut up a couple of tshirts Mat hadn't liked to make the top. I even found some pink poodle iron-ons at Spotlight. Success?
No. "The sleeves are too looooonggg... and the pants feel funny...and they're too longggg...and the poodles are coming off and how come you didn't put the roses on instead like you said?" They aren't too long, it's just that she insists on pushing the front right down under her tummy and there are limits to how much I can compensate for that! You can see I already tried. I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets cold enough that she will swallow all these ridiculous protestations and wear them!
Anyways, I've given up on the ungrateful little so-and-so for the time being and I'm going to try and regain some mojo sewing up a Lisette Portfolio tunic for me. However, given my track record I have misgivings and doubts and fears that run something along these lines
- Tunics on full-busted women can look like muumuus. I am full-busted
- It may make me look pregnant. I am not, but my tummy isn't exactly flat at the moment
- It will be too big - all the reviews say it has too much ease
- It will be too small - I tissue-fitted it last night and it seemed like it will be only just big enough.
- I can't make a muslin because I don't have almost 3m of anything other than the fabric I wanted for it in my stash.
- I should line it so it sits over leggings nicely but I can't be bothered.
- It will look awful but I'll wear it in public anyways because I can't bear to waste the effort and fabric.
- I will look crap in any photos I take of myself in it to put up here.