22 February, 2012

SMS MBOM January

I got the January block done the day before the February one came out, so technically I'm keeping up!

SMS MBOM January

I enjoyed doing this one, although I put the left-hand strips in upside down so ended up with a larger piece of grey in the top left corner instead a triangle of the blue dot - took me ages to figure out what I'd done wrong! I had to shift the position of the two last strips quite drastically to get things to work out - I consistently seem to have this problem with these blocks and I'm really not sure if it's me or the pattern. This time it was to such a degree that I have no idea what happened. One thing that I'm becoming increasingly unhappy about with this BOM is the wastage of fabric. I cut a huge amount off the edges of this block, and that's fabric that possibly won't get used up in anything else. As someone at the AMQG meeting last night pointed out when I complained about this, when fabric is just a few dollars a yard in the States perhaps wastage doesn't matter but damn, it's not that cheap here! I'm also becoming increasingly unsure as to whether these will make even a vaguely decent-looking quilt when they're all put together. Oh well, it's an interesting process and I'm learning all sorts of things! I think that if I ever do another one though, I'll pick something that has been designed to make a single quilt, rather than a random assortment of different styles.

5 comments:

  1. Just know that fabric is quite expensive here in California, prices have also increased recently.  I feel your pain.  :l

    ReplyDelete
  2. My block looks different to yours - I suspect because I always get a bit impatient towards the end and take to the block with my rotary cutter before double checking the instructions. So I cut it 12" instead of 12.5". Annoying - but like you, while I have enjoyed making them I doubt I will ever want to put the blocks together in one quilt. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pain's so much easier to bear when it's shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to have to trim to 12" anyways, some of my blocks are distinctly wonky - and not in the good sense of the word! So do you have any ideas for what you're going to do with the blocks? I'm thinking there are only so many pillows I can accommodate on the couch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate wasting fabric too, but have decided I need to be a little less precious as I did buy this fabric to cut it up after all! It's time for me to use up fabric while I still like it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails