08 September, 2011

Organic baby

I've finally finished up the quilt for baby Oliver

Baby quilt

The fabrics are all by Mona Luna and come from Stitchbird - I also completely copied her quilt with the same fabrics. Why mess with perfection?

This is the first time I've sewn with organic cottons and they were very nice. The texture is more like sheeting, which means they don't quite behave like regular quilting cottons being a bit crisper and more densely-woven.

I made a huge mistake when I pre-washed them though and did my usual routine of "treat 'em mean" by putting them through a hot wash and the dryer, and then a hot iron. Well it turns out that when it comes to Mona Luna's organics treating them mean doesn't keep 'em keen, it makes them shrink a bit and fade along creases! Ahhh! As Lyndy found out for me subsequently, they recommend a cold wash - so let me be a terrible warning for you all. It didn't ruin them exactly, but the bears look a bit faded in places and I couldn't quite squeeze out 7 squares from each metric FQ one some so there is more duplication than I'd have liked.

I used a wool batting for the first time and while I like the loftiness and warmth it has, it doesn't have the drape I'm used to with cotton and, combined with the crisper cotton fabrics, is quite stiff. But that might be the batting itself, perhaps if I went for something more expensive than Spotlight's version it might be nicer?

Baby quilt

I do love it and the crazy brightness though, and I couldn't resist getting a bit extra of the Swedish Forest one with all the animals for me. Not sure what I'll do with it though! And Lyndy, you should try and get in some of the Woodland Party print to go with the others, it's gorgeous!

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous quilt Jacqui!!  You are becoming quite the prolific quilter :-)  Wool batting is quite different to use than cotton.  Not all wool battings are created equal.  I like "Hobbs" wool batting and also a black wool batting that my LQS sells (or used to).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think I've got the bug... I'm glad to know there are probably better wool battings out there, I'll keep trying! I know my LQS sells some so I'll give that a go next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed it is perfection!!!! Big LOVE...... shame about the wash, but thanks for heads up!  What a lucky Mama to receive this for her little one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is totally gorgeous !! !! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky baby Oliver!  I used bamboo cotton batting for Adam's quilt.  I'm told that it will be cool in summer and warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Jacqui, this makes me want to run to my sewing machine and work on my own quilting project! the colours are beautiful and I like your choice for the binding, it really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt - well done : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's stunning - so lovely and bright :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! And when is your darling bundle of joy due to arrive again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baby is due on Thanksgiving!  Due date of November 24th, and I'm hoping for a little early rather than late, though I'd rather it was bang on time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your finished quilt looks beautiful and I like the way you have quilted it.  I will go and have a look at Woodland Party now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems to be a popular combination - thank you for coming up with it! I had a bit of a craft-girl squee when I saw Woodland Party - foxes! bunting! trees!
    I need to get out more...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit that the binding isn't quite as bright as it looks in this photo, my camera always makes oranges look neon - reds and intense pinks too. But yes, I'm liking the orange too - it's quite nice to sew with those colours after my usual diet of girly-girl ones for Hazel. Looking forward to seeing your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pretty sure I used that for my first quilt and really liked the result a lot, but it was very fluffy to sew with from memory! I'll definitely give it a go again I think, as you say perhaps its more flexible in terms of how warm it is than wool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know what they say - if you can't live well be a terrible warning for others (or something like that). I hope they like it - but unless I actually get my butt in gear and SEND it I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails