24 April, 2012

KCWC Day 2

Phew! This one was a bit of a mind-bender at times but got there in the end! It turned out there was heaps of the blue flowered fabric to do the Figgy's Sunki tunic, so even though I suspect it's a bit crisp for the pattern I couldn't resist the combination!

Figgy's Sunki tunic


Hazel hasn't tried it on yet, but I thought I could say a couple things about making the tunic because it's not the most straight-forward thing I've ever made. The tricky bits are the pockets that are set into the princess seams down the front. Unfortunately, the pattern illustration shows one piece a totally different shape than it is in reality which is extremely confusing, and the instructions are fairly brief. There is a further tutorial on the Figgy's site but that didn't really clarify things for me at all and I was in despair! Luckily I found Hemoglobinhummingbird's great tutorial on Flickr, had an "ah-HA!" moment and I was away. The rest of the tunic was pretty straightforward and even the pocket thing isn't that complicated once you have it straight in your head. One thing I did notice though is seam finishing happens in some places and not others - so you need to use your own initiative and finish the facings and some of the pocket areas for example. Same with curve-clipping. Not a biggie, but if you weren't paying attention and didn't do it in those spots, you might not be as happy with the finished result. The next time I do this I will also make the pockets deeper because they're quite shallow and Hazel was a bit put-out she couldn't get her whole hand into them.

I like the pleats in the sleeves - very 80s! I like to think Hazel will be wearing the Year 2 version of the power suit ;) You can see the effect the pleats have better on Angry Chicken's example. The overlap detail is neat too, although I couldn't find any reference in the pattern to sewing them down on each other, perhaps I'm just not reading it right - so I just sewed over the top stitching again.

Untitled


I'd like to try it again in a heavy knit I think, at the moment I'm thinking the fit might be a bit uncompromising in a fabric with no stretch like this one. Wouldn't it be great if it came in adult sizes though?!

ETA: Aaaah! It's too small! Noooo! All that work and the great fabric and it only fits if she stands completely straight and still.  I rechecked the measurements and she should just be within the 6/7 size range, but it's obviously a very slim fit and more towards the lower end of the range of measurements. The sleeves are also a bit short. So. Dress goes next door if they want it and it fits Abbie and I try again. I will also raise the bottom of the arm scythe as it's too low and causes the dress to lift when the arms are raised. Boo-hoo. I'm pretty gutted about this, but serves me right for not tissue-fitting eh?

21 comments:

  1. This is amazing!  I love your print placement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a bit bigger would be nice! It's too small for my 8yr old who's in size 10. Great prinit and flower placement! I'd so wear that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I wish I could claim deliberate placement but with something that big on such a small piece of clothing you kind of take what you get :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well much to my disappointment this one is too small for Hazel :( Boohoo. I just hope it fits our neighbour's daughter because that is a lot of work and nice fabric to go to waste! Actually I'm sure I'll find someone, but what a pain! And yes, I'd wear it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I love this! It looks so beautifully made and the print is perfect- so bold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dress! Thanks for those links about the pocket construction, I'm a bit intimidated by this pattern but it is lovely. Re: an adult version of the dress, I've noticed that Simplicity 2245, the Lisette portfolio tunic, has a similar look with pockets set into princess seams (no 80s pleated sleeves...though perhaps those are best left to the little girls!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so sad!  And the flower placement came out so well, too!

    I've been (probably annoyingly) neurotic about checking size on Caitlyn before cutting anything.  I check about three times with the tissue and then I usually add extra inches to the length when I cut.  Her dresses and skirts tend to come out long as a result, leaving her with the idea that anything that shows any part of her knees is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is GORGEOUS!
    Well-done.
    I love your choice in fabric.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also had a very hard time sewing the pockets on this tunic as well and wasn't entirely happy with the fit either. I love your version, however, and I am considering trying it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so eye catching !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am almost finished making my Sunki for my 7yo. based on measurements given for the 8/9  i thought there would be room to grow, but their isnt.  It fits just perfect for now and the length is a few inches too short.  i only had enough fabric to lengthen it 1 inch. I made short sleeves so i cant comment on slv length. i too am a little disappointed, but  i may be able to grade it up a size for next time

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, the fabric IS great, Hazel chose it and I was excited to be finally using it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the Lisette tip - it really IS quite similar in many ways! I tried to get one this morning but they were out of that one and not sure if or when when they'd be getting more. I might have to try the internet. The pattern isn't very hard, once you get your head around the pocket construction. I'm sure most people don't find it as confusing as I did for whatever reason!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Normally I'd at least hold the paper pattern up against her to check, but I didn't for whatever reason this time and learned my lesson! I often make things too big, but at least I know then she'll grow into it :) Bet my next effort comes out too big in reaction!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suspect the fit is just very slim, and Hazel is perfectly average with a little tummy still so despite the fact she's technically within the measurements for 6/7 I should have gone up. Unfortunately I'd read the Angry Chicken review before I started and she says it fits very generously with lots of ease, so I thought I was safe going for that size! I'm definitely going to try again though, I want to get those pockets looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is isn't it! I will be interested to see how our neighbour's little girl (who will get it since it doesn't fit Hazel) likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's odd isn't it, this sizing thing because the Angry Chicken review suggests it's a very roomy fit. I did have a brain wave at one point and was sure that I'd just not added seam allowances to the pieces when tracing them, but after reading and re-reading the instructions they seem to be included so that's not it. I'm going to trace the 8/9 size out and tissue-fit it to see, I hope it will be ok without too much grading up! I also want to make the pockets deeper as Hazel was quite disappointed they were so shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan @ Living with PunksMay 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM

    Love your fabric choice and sooooooo bummed for you it doesn't fit!!! Aggravating!!!!!! Now that you've made the pattern though now you can fine tune your adjustments. Thanks for letting me know about your. It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I'm still working on being ok with it being too small! It seems wrong to be bitter over something like that :) Next time I won't use the nice fabric for the first attempt, though that seems an obvious thing in hindsight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the shout-out! I found it a slim fit on my kid too -- I wonder if the reviewer who found it roomy might have inadvertently traced a larger size? If you happen to make the Nituna coat from the same line, the same size fits quite roomily (not long, but roomy through the body) on my kid. I should note that we have mild weather so she doesn't usually wear a sweater under the coat, that might factor in.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails