09 June, 2011

The red quilt finished!

With the Modern Quilt Guild having its first meeting next week I suddenly felt the need to actually have something to take along! So I hauled the red quilt top and backing out of the pile of intended projects and actually put the thing together. I really do work best to deadlines :)

Red Quilt


I started quilting along either side of the seam lines of the blocks (it turns out this block pattern is called a rail fence btw), intending to do the same with the strips inside the blocks, but my enthusiasm for quilting ran out and I did long diagonal lines across the the quilt instead. I'm not entirely sure if that's close enough though - any thoughts from the more experienced quilters among you?

Red quilt


You can see the quilting a bit better on the back

Red quilt back


I'm still working on getting the back to sit as flat as the front. I did all the taping and pinning as per instructions but still ended up with some puckering which really annoys the perfectionist in me! But it's not so bad that I'm going to redo it. I'm wondering if spray basting might be the road for me?

The binding is scrappy, which I quite like, and I think I'm as happy with the simplicity of the back as I am with the riot of red on the front - it's truly reversible!

Red Quilt Back

I have my other quilt top all done too, just need to think about the backing and quilting. My machine will only do straight lines, which is a bit limiting, but to be honest I found that meandering free quilting rather daunting when I tried, and I'm still not entirely sure I like it all that much, so perhaps I either send stuff out to get done more fancy-like, or stick with my lines! Anyways, that's another post :)

15 comments:

  1. I love it! Really love the red and pink with the splash of light blue... works really well. Congrats on finishing it.
    What quilt batting did you use? if it is wool you need to quilt quite densely, if its polyester or cotton you can get away with larger spaces between quilting, I think the same goes with the bamboo batting.  It usually says on the packet.
    Or your quilt shop should be able to give you details eg: 10x10cm space between quilting

    As for the puckering... very hard to avoid.  Spray basting, could be the thing for you.. though warning, definately do it in open areas! It stinks! you'd think I would be used to it being in signwriting! but it is really strong, mind you that could be the brand I used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the scrappy binding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Modern Quilt Guilds! We just started one here in Vegas about 6 months ago, and I love it! I've met some awesome people, gotten to know others better... and gotten a TON of inspiration! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the red and aqua trend is a great one. I used the basic cotton batting from Spotlight, so don't have the manufacturer's info on quilting - must remember to have a look next time I'm there.

    I've heard that there is a really good spray - 501 or 105 or some number. I need to go looking for it. But I can well imagine that any spray is going to stink and make a bit of a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the very first meeting so I'm not sure how many people will show up. It will be interesting to see! I'm looking forward to having a chat about some things I'd like to do and seeing what others are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the scrappy binding! Yay for Modern Quilt Guilds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. IT looks amazing well done - on quilting gaps I quilt at least every 4" as a general rule.
    I had forgotton all about the modern quilters guild I'm sure I signed up but forgot to check againg , going now to check if I can make that night :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would be great to see you there!

    I think I will do some more quilting on it, the more I think about it, and from what people have said about it, it's not dense enough. Should be easy enough to sneak it in around the binding.

    --- Sent from my iPhone ---

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely!

    I usually quilt with a cotton batting that says it's good for quilting about every 8 inches. I tend to go closer to 4 to 6 inches though. Things feel more "solid" that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we might be using the same batting - I looked mine up (Warm and
    Natural) and it does say 10 inches, my triangles are definitely smaller than
    that - though I do think a few more lines might be good anyways, just to
    keep the fabric from sagging too much after washing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt looks amazing.  I love all that red and how it's all come together.  I have just finished my first ever quilt for my small boy - but have completely cheated and taken it to Sandy at Quilt-Me and dithered over a dozen pantograms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this quilt Jacqui!  Looking forward to meeting you at the Guild meeting tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh neat! I'll be the one with the red quilt for show and tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to find a good quilter, I've had a few recommendations but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get in touch with someone eventually! Does your person have a website?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am using Quilt Me Creations (Sandy) - she's in Hobsonville. She was
    recommended to me by Cheryl at All Things Patchwork (amazing fabric
    store in Riverhead) who I did my class with. No website - but she's
    got a huge workroom with lots of samples and books. I'm sure your
    local quilt shop and the new Guild will have recommendations too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails